Becoming a Voice Actor is a 14-week workshop offered in the fall and spring that covers the basics of voice acting and getting voice work. Enrollment is by audition. By the end of the course, students are able to:
- Develop their voices using breathing and relaxation exercises for warm-up
- Warm-up connecting the voice and the breath
- Understand sound and vocal production
- Use a microphone and headset correctly
- Understand the fundamentals of voice acting and characterization
- Understand studio etiquette and production values
- Understand the audition process
- Prepare for auditions
- Understand what a demo tape is and why you need one
- Understand the business side of voice work for marketing
- Voice acting is a process that is different for everyone, depending on your experience. If you are a seasoned actor already, you may be further along in the process than someone just starting out in the business.
- The course is designed to be as a close to reality in how the business works. As is done in the business, an audition is required. This voice file becomes a baseline for the rest of the course, for students to hear their progress from beginning to end. It is done at the beginning, repeated at the halfway mark, then again at the end.
- Each week, other scripts are recorded and students receive a CD with the voice files from the 14 weeks.
- Guest speakers, such as producers and talent agents are invited to discuss industry expectations and marketing with students.
- Throughout the course, her feedback will help you understand how to find your own voice and market it.
Check out this video and meet Shelley and her class from the fall 2015 course!
Here is what her students have said.